Adopting an animal from SPCA Nelson
Adopting animals into new, caring homes is one of the most important things we do, so we make sure we do it right.
Our adoption process is designed to match the right animal with the right family so that the adoption is permanent and successful so we need to find out a little about you, your lifestyle, your property, and your experience with animals.
We don’t adopt animals as ‘surprise presents’ but you can buy a voucher that will cover the adoption fee, and then we can help match the pet with the owner.
- Before an animal is put up for adoption they go through a thorough health check.
- Dogs and cats are microchipped, vaccinated, and temperament tested.
- Small animals (i.e. rats and guinea pigs) and larger animals (i.e. horses) are not micro chipped.
- We do charge an adoption fee, which helps to partially recover the costs of rescue, rehabilitation, and healthcare.
- All dogs and puppies are released on trial prior to formal adoption, so you can bring it back if you decide it is not the right pet for you.
The Nelson SPCA also has the right to choose the right home for any animal. We try to place animals in homes that best suit their needs.