The adoption process
How to adopt a pet from SPCA Nelson
- First please call us on (03) 547 7171, or look on our website or facebook page to check the availability of the kind of animal you are looking for.
- You will need to complete an SPCA Adoption Application and agree to our conditions of adoption.
- If you wish to adopt a dog you’ll also need to fill out our dog adoption questionnaire.
- Adoptees of dogs and puppies may be subject to a property check by an SPCA Inspector to determine whether adequate fencing and kennel facilities exist. The adoption process can continue once our Inspector has given their approval. You do not need to be at home when the Inspector does their check.
- You will then be asked to sign a form to acknowledge your understanding of the full terms and conditions of adoption before you leave with your chosen animal.
- We ask for an adoption contribution to contribute to our costs.
- All dogs and puppies must be registered upon adoption, we can do this at the SPCA
- If you are renting you need to supply written landlord approval.
- Download adoption forms here