Are you ready to adopt a pet?
At SPCA Nelson we advise everyone who adopts an animal from us to think very carefully about their circumstances and capabilities before taking on the responsibility of a pet.
You need to consider:
1. Can you care for a pet for its whole life?
- The average lifespan of dogs and cats is around 12 years
- Some dogs and cats can live for 15 or even 20 years.
2. Can you afford a pet?
- All animals available for adoption from Nelson SPCA have been vaccinated, microchipped, and desexed
- Ongoing costs for an average sized dog can be $20+ a week, plus any emergency vet care they may need.
3. Are you able to care for a pet?
- It is your responsibility to know how to properly care for your animals
- You will need to set aside time to exercise, groom, and play with your pet for its entire lifetime.
4. Is your home suitable for a pet?
- Home and garden size are significant factors in determining your suitability as a pet owner
- Dogs need a fenced section, shelter and shade, and room to play
- Many landlords do not allow pets
- Owning a pet can affect your status as a tenant.
5. Will a pet fit into your lifestyle?
- Working hours, a busy social life and regular trips away are all factors you need to consider before adopting a pet
- Dogs and cats thrive on human company and will always depend on you
- Don’t adopt a pet unless you are
- Prepared to walk your dog every day
- Home often enough to keep your cat company
- Able to give your puppy or kitten the basic training it needs
- Able to arrange care for your pet when you are away
If your answer to all these question is ‘YES’, you’re ready to adopt.
Talk to us at SPCA Nelson to get advice on the best type of pet for you, and to find out more about how to care for him or her properly. We have lots of animals available for adoption now.