Volunteering with SPCA Nelson
Volunteering is a wonderful way of supporting the work we do, and if you love animals it will give you the great satisfaction of working with animals in their time of need.
Volunteer work available:
- Helping at SPCA Nelson animal care facility – cleaning, feeding, grooming, excercising dogs, spending time with our animals.
- Providing a foster home for dogs, cats and kittens
- Volunteering at our Op Shop
- Weekend Duty Officer
- Committee member when vacancies arise
So how do you get started?
- Call in at SPCA Nelson, at 379 Waimea Road, Nelson and talk to one of our staff about volunteering opportunities.
- Fill out an application form.
- If you want to work in a hands-on role with the animals, you’ll need to take a short (and easy) induction course covering health and safety, isolation procedures and cross contamination.
- Our volunteers help us keep our animals healthy and our Centre running to a very high standard.
- We are grateful for whatever time you can spare – many of our volunteers come in for just a morning or an afternoon a week
Current Volunteer Roles include:
Foster homes for queens and kittens
Do you love cats and kittens, and have time to look after some very special babies?
- You have a separate room
- You are over 18 years old
- Your other household pets are fully vaccinated
- You love cats
- We provide all food bedding and any other requirements you may need
Dog and puppy fostering
Do you love dogs but cannot commit to owning one full time? This may be the perfect role for you:
- You have a secure yard,
- You are over 18 years old
- Your own dogs are fully vaccinated
- The majority of our dogs are fostered out every weekend to give them socialisation and a break from the Centre.
- You need to be able to collect the dogs/puppies on a Friday afternoon and return them to us on Monday morning
- We provide all food bedding and any other requirements you may need.
Op Shop volunteers – our new Op Shop relies heavily on volunteers.
We need help with:
- Customer service
- Sorting incoming goods
This is a great opportunity to build up customer service skills and to gain retail experience – check out our Op Shop page
Weekend Duty Officer
- Are you mature, used to handling animals and dealing with members of the public?
- Do you have a full drivers licence and some time to spare at weekends? .
- Can you be available to be on call with the animal ambulance one weekend in every 5-6 weeks.
If so, come and talk to us about whether this role could be right for you
– From time to time we need special people to join our hard working Nelson SPCA committee.
You’ll need to
- Attend monthly meetings (evenings) and
- Be prepared to roll up your sleeves and pitch in with fundraising for key events.
- Ideally you’ll be a professional person with a passion for animals, good business networks and business experience.
Please call the Center manager for further information on (03) 547 7171 or email us for more information on any of the above roles.